Boy, did I have a scare yesterday! I was out in my front yard doing what I love to do best—race cars—when out of nowhere something happened!  My most favorite neighbor (with the Porsche SUV) came home and was waiting for me to race him!  I turned and walked away. I didn’t want to have anything to do with racing him for the first time ever!  Mom could immediately tell something was seriously wrong. She rushed over to me and I slowly followed her into the house. She lifted me up so I didn’t have to take the step up into the house.

Mom decided I should rest quietly, but I was in pain and couldn’t get comfortable. So, I just walked and walked and walked around the house. Mom had to go to her own physical therapy appointment for her shoulder. So, then she left and was only gone about an hour. But when she returned, I was panting excessively and shaking uncontrollably. I even let out a few audible cries. I couldn’t help myself. Mom didn’t know what to do.

Now, you should know, Mom doesn’t recommend what she did next without typically going to a vet first!

Mom found some Rimadyl, a dog anti-inflammatory, leftover from one of my rescue fur-riends. She knew that I needed to calm down and it would help me, but wanted to do a little more research as it was after hours for the vet. And I just wouldn’t stop panting, shaking, or pacing. She did what most people would probably do—Googled it. After she researched, she found the
correct dosages for my size and even gave me less than what was recommended.

I was too scared and in pain to take the medicine. I wouldn’t even eat a hot dog. She searched and searched for something I might be interested in. TURKEY! (Well it is Thanksgiving week after all!) I ate a few pieces of turkey, then she snuck the pill in on me. Now at night, I sleep in bed with Mom and Dad. So, we got into bed. Mom was hoping I would settle down and go to sleep.

While Mom was monitoring me closely, she contacted my favorite chiropractor, Toni Reynolds.

They talked and decided I should come in today. In the meantime, I actually stopped panting. Next, I stopped shaking. And, finally, I laid my head down. I was calm and next to my Mom. She was relieved that I was at least getting some rest and feeling more comfortable. Mom kept an eye on me all night. I relaxed enough to have a few “woofingly” fun dreams. (I was dreaming that I beat my neighbor with the white Porsche SUV!) I did wake up once to find my furbro, Buddy, lying right next to Mom and me.

When I woke up this morning, I was feeling better, but definitely still not doing well. Mom forced me up from my snuggly spot in bed to watch me walk and see how I was doing. I gingerly walked down the ramp next to the bed and headed out into the backyard. I was definitely better, but not my old self. I let a squirrel scamper up a redwood and I didn’t even give him a
second look. Then a couple of the feral cats that Dad feeds every morning made their appearance. On a typical day, we would play a game of tag, but today, I tried to act as though I did not see them. I walked around the yard for a good 30 minutes as though I was out on a leisurely stroll. The more I walked the better I felt.

Mom then said we had to get going because we had a 9:30 appointment with Dr. Toni for an adjustment and cold laser therapy. I was excited about getting to go for a ride. I started to jump into the car and she freaked. Instead, she gently lifted me into the car and in hindsight that was a good thing.

When we arrived at Dr. Toni’s office I was happy yet scared at the same time.

I know she always makes me feel better, but this time was different. Mom had a long conversation with Dr. Toni and I heard them mention something about going to the vet. Don’t get me wrong, my vet is a nice person, but I just don’t like that place. There are always a lot of other unhappy looking fur creatures there. All of us try to sneak back out that front door!

Well, to make this long story a bit shorter, I am feeling much better and Dr. Toni worked her magic on me. I just love her. And the good news is I am heading back home and won’t be stopping at the vet. Whew, that was a close one. And as someone once said, “All’s well that ends well.”

Ears Truly,
One Up Max